Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Our map cushions

OK, this is way overdue... This project was finished more than a year ago and I just realised I never shared it with you. So I hereby present you with our map cushions:
At the time my sister shared a blog post with me (from OhDeeDoh, I think) which showed a stylised world map painted over about 12 small canvasses. Because I was not going to be short on wall art for the new house, and because I was keen on some more cushiony-type things in the boys bedroom, I decided to try these instead. I call this a 'fun' project because I think the end result is a fun touch to a children's bedroom. The actual sewing was anything but fun - one of those 'what-on-earth-was-I-thinking-when-I-started-this' projects.
The map was made by machine appliqueing the various shapes to the blue background, one layer at a time. I used my free-motion foot for that to save having to turn the fabric quite so much, but it was still a massive job. Love how it turned out though.

6 comments:

Gerrit said...

Looks great!
There are some rather large tsunamies in the Pacific Icean though. ;-)

bronya said...

thats fantastic ... however long it took you its TOTALLY worth it ... that map is so realistic - very very impressed ...

Ruth said...

Mr 't Hart - to be expected when you consider the size of the feet stomping in that ocean... I'm sure the kids will enjoy the though. Next time we'll have tsunamis, earthquakes and more.

LifeShield Security said...

Just saw this on Apartment Therapy... this project is amazing. Kudos for having the determination to finish! Turned out great.

Lisa said...

What a lovely project! The detail is amazing!

Kristin L said...

These are beautiful and fun! I can totally see my kids jumping and rolling from one locale to another, "look, I'm in Europe, now I'm in Africa, oops, make that South America, betcha can't jump from there to Australia!!"