Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Quilts on the go

Just in case you were wondering (as if you haven't got anything better to do...) I thought I'd let you know that even though I haven't shared any progress here lately, and even though I have been quite distracted by our tadpole-turned-frogs, I haven't been completely idle.

I keep getting asked about the progress of the school quilt. I haven't made much - usually my quiltmaking slows right down at the thread-burying stage. Not because I don't enjoy it, but because it feels completely too relaxing to sit in my armchair with handwork during the day when I could be busy at the sewing machine (and yes, it makes me look like a granny). So I save it for lazy evenings or other times when I feel like taking it a bit easy (now I sound like a granny too!).

I did manage to quilt a series of small quilts which I've had sitting around for a bit. The binding has been sewn onto these and the school quilt so that all the machine work is completed on these.And today I started piecing a new quilt. Piecing is always the 'funnest' part of the quiltmaking process! You're probably thinking that that's a lot of quilts to be working on at once. I actually still have several more cut and ready for piecing as well as some new designs in various stages of being drawing up. So, yes, that's a lot of quilts. However, I have a couple of venues lined up for a solo exhibition of my childhood quilts next year, and I'm always well aware that anything can happen between now and then to throw my quiltmaking plans aside. (With four kids in the house, I'm often amazed that we don't have more sicknesses or injuries to deal with!) I'd rather work ahead than be caught short in the last month.
Lastly, I've noticed a lot of extra traffic here in the last few days, so if you're new here, welcome, and thanks for reading along!

2 comments:

Emma said...

Hi, I'm one of your new readers - I found you via a link on Melody's blog the other day ( http://fibermania.blogspot.com/2011/09/lazy-weekend.html ). I love to find other Australian Quilt blogs and am fascinated by your quilts - I was especially pleased to read your recent posting on how you make them.

Ursula Clamer said...

Hi Ruth, I found your blog thru the InStitches emag. I love your work, it is truly amazing.
I come from a paper/paint background and am dabbling in adding cloth & stitch. I find your work very inspiring. Ux