Friday, September 9, 2011

Brooom, broomm!!

Here's a project I know some of you will be interested in making with your kids. This is actually my mums work (although I was a contributor) so I got her permission to post it here. Right up until about last year, Mum had a couple of boards with a road map drawn on with thick black marker for the kids to play on. Apparently I drew it way back when I was about as old as Aaron and Hannah. As you can see, the boards have been updated to a full-colour mat/blanket, though still with most of the original design. It's soft to sit on, and nice and colourful to look at, and it packs away easily when it's bedtime! I think it's made mostly by applique, with the road markings stitched on. It has non-slip rubbery stuff on the back (the kind you put under rugs to stop them slipping). It also has an inner padded layer, which might be batting, although seeing as Mum made, it could actually be anything in there ("make do with what you have"...).
Caleb and his cousin don't care what's inside - they think it's perfect.
And I love any sewing project that incorporates children's drawings!

6 comments:

bronya said...

i love that you were so creative way back then - before your science and engineering degrees :) ... and that it's been made into an awesome playmat ... i see where your talent comes from ... and i love that your mum kept your road map drawings/artwork for so long ... very cool xx

bronya said...

ohhh and i was just going to add that this proves to phil that the artist part came first ... creative nerd it is rather then nerdy artist - it makes a big difference :)

Phil said...

Hey Bron. Sure it makes a big difference - that's why nerdy artist is so appropriate!

Viv said...

Hey, i thought Ollie and I drew those roads! Either way, they've had plenty of use over the years.

bronya said...

i may have thought about this a bit too much but i think you are right phil because a nerdy artist indicates an artist with a slight nerdy side where as creative nerd indicates more a nerd who can be creative ... so, i'm prepared to accept your proposal ... now that i've worked that out and got that off my chest i should be able to get some sleep ... b x

Bec R said...

Very cool....I am thinking a felt version would be a great way for me to use up some of my stash...!